When it comes to landscaping, there are so many ways to boost your property’s appearance, feel, and even increase its value.
Placing bark dust and cedar chips on your property is a great outdoor project for just about any home. They are useful additions to gardens, are great for outlining walkways, and can even fight against invasive bugs. Keep in mind, it’s recommended to apply new bark dust material every two to four years, depending on the type of bark and how well you maintain it.
Here are some of the best uses for cedar chips:
- Garden mulch — Cedar and bark dust can act as garden mulch, especially in ornamental beds since they can break down slower without disturbance. When using these materials as much, apply in one-to-two inches thick at first so it surpasses the weeds and is a sufficient depth to conserve soil moisture.
- Repel snakes from your property — If snakes are a problem at your home, placing cedar wood shavings around crawl spaces can keep these unwanted creatures off your property. You can also add cedar shavings to other parts of your home that are prone to snakes like barns, garages, and around recreational vehicles.
- Pest prevention — Red cedar has insect-repellant capabilities and can help all kinds of landscapes look amazing. These chips contain thujaplicin, which is a chemical compound that provides fungicidal and antibacterial properties that can cut down on fungal spores and diseases on your lawn.
- Temperature control — Cedar chips will help keep the underlying soil cool, even on extremely hot days. According to a study by the Colorado State University Extension comparing various natural and artificial mulches showed that cedar kept soil temperatures at an even 85 degrees Fahrenheit, even when temps hit the triple-digit mark.
- Outdoor features and hardscapes — Cedar and bark dust are great for outlining various hardscapes and pathways around your yard, as well. Don’t just let your property look the same because you’re afraid of installing some nice outdoor features.
If you want to learn more about the benefits of using cedar on your landscape or find trusted bark blowers in Portland, give Barkdusters a call right away!